Sunday, May 3, 2020

Edited: Radical Women Eva Hesse


In these tragic times, I was grateful to have listened to Eva Hesse speak about art and absurdity. In the recording, when Hesse tries to speak about her work, she avoids speaking about it directly. She’s more interested in noting the need for her to make, and the absurdity in that need. “My whole life has been absurd. Nothing ever was normal. [she chuckles] The extreme traumas—personal, health, family, war, economy, health, sickness, to my art and my working there, school, my personal, friends— That’s just in life. Then in art, it can’t be separated for me, because my life was so extreme. Art being the most important thing for me, rather than like existence, staying alive. And I could never really separate them. And they became close, enmeshed. And absurdity is the key word.”

Hesse’s work is admired all over the world. Similar to Mary Weatherford, her work was something that I copied as a young art student. Hesse’s sculptures were generous in that way, not hard to figure out how it was made. However, it is the essence of the work that can’t be replicated. Her sculptures came from a sincere place, an emotive space that only she can conjure up. Molesworth note that a part of what makes Hesse work so extraordinary is that the art, even though made in the face of her tragic life was never sentimental or hysterical. The work was absurd in its formal conversation and in its gentle demeanor. Hesse’s art has infinite opportunities for interpretation. She was clear about her desire to make something that was truly hers and find her own inner peace amongst the inner turmoil. She knew her work was powerful and didn’t feel the need to find the exact words for it.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I could see some of Hesse's pieces within this post. Your description of her works is intimate and reads very well from the perspective of a student. As a reader, I want to be able to see the texture and execution of her work so I might also be able to figure out how they were made/witness their irreplicable meaning.

    ReplyDelete