Friday, December 4, 2020

"Existed Existing": Sam Gilliam's exploration of color and materiality in a new exhibition at the PACE gallery

 75752.jpeg 

Sam Gilliam, TBD, 2020, acrylic on washi, 79" × 79" (200.7 cm × 200.7 cm), paper 83" × 83" × 3" (210.8 cm × 210.8 cm × 7.6 cm) © Sam Gilliam / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York

 

Sam Gilliam's exhibition "Existed Existing" is currently on view at the PACE gallery, and offers an exploration into color, space, and materiality for those who are currently privileged to see it in person. For those who can't view the exhibition in person, PACE has resources including the press release, an interview with Gilliam, and a video about the show, which is what I am basing my critique on. I want to focus on his washi papers, which are a series of large fields of paper utterly saturated with vibrant color. Gilliam says, "The physical presence is not that important as is the color." He also describes the process of making the paper to render the object "so that that materiality disappears." I can only imagine the experience in person, given that electronic means often represent color inaccurately.  I'm fascinated with the idea that you could render an object so saturated with color, at its core an idea, that you could take away its materiality. If I've known anything to be more experiential than factual, it is experiencing artwork, and experiencing color. I wonder about the idea of an object being less material, because when I experience these washi pieces I almost view them as more so, an embodiment, an objective example of pure hue. It makes me yearn to be able to have that in person experience that so many of us have missed, in a fervent way, that I have to view the object to be able to truly verify its existence. Sam Gilliam, as a master of color, has certainly proven that mastery yet again in encouraging me (and other viewers) to think so deeply and introspectively about color and materiality. Being separated from the experience of the in person show is only deepening that need for the experience of color.

2 comments:

  1. I think your descriptions on the work and the discussions after it is really attractive. And I like your review include the artist’s thinking that can help me to understand the work more. This is the first time that I know Sam Gilliam and this review let me want to learn more from him and his works. The thinking “disappear of the materiality” is very interesting. The artist uses this way I think is understandable. When I see this work, in my mind, the only thing I have is the color. I do not consider it as a painting or paper. Also I agree with your last sentence. This is “deepening need for experience of color.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. The materiality and the immateriality in the piece you choose is fascinating and your response about how the artist uses color to cover the material is successful. For me, the two things combines very well. I would like to know more about the process of the rendering.

    ReplyDelete