Monday, April 30, 2018

Met Breuer Like Life Marco Lorenzetti

Met Breuer
Like Life
Marco Lorenzetti - New version #2



After walking down from the astounding review of Leon Golub, slightly in a daze from the monumentality of his work, I arrived at the entrance of “Like-Life: Sculpture, Color and the Body". The show is a broad scope of how the body was used and rendered throughout history in different mediums, stylistic approaches and applications of color. It was the clash of so many different genres and figurative artworks created, spanning from the 13th century to contemporary works that made such an impact on me. Interesting pairings allowed for conceptual and visual connections to be made. In the first room to the left was Koon's Michael Jackson with pet monkey piece next to highly elaborate Rococo porcelain scene of a bucolic pasture, painted to an extraneous degree. These two pieces offered interesting commentaries on excess and lavishness, orbiting embracing these morals and also poking fun at the irony it plays within our own culture currently.
Each room was labeled in regards of an overall theme that tied the pieces in the space together there were eight different sections. A jarring and spectacular room titled "Color" included works that dealt with the self portrait or face mask created throughout history in different media. The piece by Marc Quinn was striking. A frozen face mask in silicon created from 8 pints of his own blood. Exiting the show through the last room I was confronted by the most bizarre pieces I believe to have been included in the show. Among them was Maurizo Cattelan's wax John F. Kennedy in a casket. In its entirety it truly is a show that cannot be missed. I do hope you do see it before it closes.

3 comments:

  1. This show was very interesting, and some of the works were a little bit creepy for me because it was some sculptures were realistic. However, I agree that it shows the clash of so many different genres and figurative artworks. I think if you add why you felt like that. Also, I was very impressed that expressing points of the human body and sculping skills were very different from the 13th century to contemporary works. I just thought the stone was all of the things of old sculptures, but after seeing these works, I changes my thoughts. It was fun to compare them. So, If you compare to the differences of sculptures between centuries would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This show was incredible. So many stand out works that tied together. How were you able to single out such a small handful? I completely agree about how the pairing opened the door for conceptual and visual connections. The pairings also seemed to highlight the uniqueness of approach as well. Speaking of interesting pairings, I appreciate you mentioning the Leon Golub show where figuration was also very present. Two very strong reasons to have visited the Breuer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a mind-blowing show. All the sculptures are so lifelike. It is nice of you to describe the details of some figures which let me look again at the photos I took for this show. From the photos, somehow I can not to tell which one is the viewer and which one is the work. That makes the show a little bit creepy and horrible to me at beginning. But after inspecting the entire exhibition. I was so impressed by those artists' skills.

    ReplyDelete